I have been working with kids for 3/4 of a year so far and whilst I love it, there can be some… trying…moments! Here are just a couple of things I’ve learnt whilst working with kids.
- Some kids have no filter – they will think nothing of asking when your baby’s due. (10 extra points if you aren’t actually pregnant – thanks pals!)
- They say the funniest things. I asked a child to explain what a synonym is today, she proceeded to tell me about ‘that thing she spreads on her toast’… cinnamon.
- How to make friends the easy way. Why is it that as kids we could just go up to someone, ask their name and then be forever friends? As an adult it can take a good 3 anxiety-ridden months before I ask someone their name. Awkward.
- A lot of things can fit up your nose. A lot of things that should not, and we think could not, fit up there CAN and WILL.
- Kids will cry over the strangest things. A kid at work cried recently because I sharpened her pencil and it ‘didn’t look the same anymore’…
- Kids notice everything. EVERYTHING. Trying to sneak that snack away? Don’t bother, they’ve already clocked it.
- They draw some interesting things that can reveal hidden messages. How does a picture of a sheep suddenly become an army of bubble eating monsters riding a bike? I don’t know. But they do. They know.
- They can be sticky even if they’ve not touched anything. Sometimes I think they produce glue from their fingertips. It’s a real skill.
- There is no point in being competitive in board games. They will win anyway. It could be a game you’ve played for decades and they will still beat you. Plus if you beat them it’s mean so it’s a lose-lose situation really.
- They generally don’t understand sarcasm. This can be a great advantage on the days when they really test your patience. They will just think you’re being hilarious 110% of the time. It makes life a lot easier for everyone.
All in all working with kids is a real adventure. There are challenging times, sure! However, the funny moments dominate by a mile and there aren’t many jobs out there you can have this much fun whilst being paid!